Monday 7 February 2011

Preliminary Task - Charlotte Woodward

This is an essay I have written as a reflective writing account, based on our first filming experience:
On the 5th October 2010, Mr. Breese gave us an assignment to film a simple shot of someone walking through a door, and sitting down at a desk and talking to someone. To create this scene, we were given two cameras and tripods, in a group of 4. We were taught how to work and control our cameras, and how to fasten them onto the tripods. According to the groups we assigned ourselves to, we all set off around the school, quietly, and looked for a suitable location to film our clips. I was in a group of 4 girls, and we found that it would work best if we were to film one of us walking into one of our house areas, pull out a chair and sit down at a desk, have a conversation with another one of us sitting on a chair, the opposite side of the desk. However, I was the actress in our first movie, so I was able to help and conduct parts of the clips we made.
Firstly, someone in our group placed the camera outside of one of the house areas, and filmed me walking through the door. In the room I walked into, there was another camera across the room rolling, in order to get me walking into the room, and walking over to the chair I would sit in. Once I sat down, we then cut the scene, and placed the two cameras; one to the left of me, behind, and one to the left of Kim who was sat on the other side, behind her. This way, you were unable to see either camera in the shot. Both then filmed our short conversation. This will then be edited to convey a reverse shot. 
A reverse shot is a shot from the opposite side of the prior shot, often used in conversations between one another. It is perceived so that one character is shown looking back at another, who is unseen. We then repeated this routine, making three more similar movies, so we each had a turn of walking through the door. Each time, we placed the camera at different angles. Another skill we learnt was Panning.  Panning is a skill we conveyed during filming, as we were able to control the camera on the tripod, and slowly move the camera side to side in certain clips. Taking this into account, we were very aware of how not to break the 180 degree rule. The 180 degree rule is when the camera cannot pass 180 degrees from where it is filming. You have to almost imagine a straight line. If you cross that line, you have broken the 180 degree rule.
After filming all our shots we produced in our double period, we then headed back to the classroom, extracted the SD Cards from the two cameras’s, and inserted them into the computer to import our video clips. We imported every clip from both cameras onto “Corel Video Studio”. This is software on the school’s computers which enables you to edit clips of filming/photos. We then discussed which scenes we were going to edit amongst each other, and began to edit. I really enjoyed editing the shots we had produced as it was fun to watch, and interesting to see how and who had filmed certain scenes, and the different techniques they had used. In my opinion, I thought the way I had edited my own movie was good. I listened when told how to edit, taking it into account and producing a satisfactory movie.
Personally, I have had experience with filming before. In my own time out of school, I have made movies using clips from holidays, and with my friends, editing and producing it with audio, using windows movie maker. I started to do this because I found that I really enjoyed it, especially the flow of editing, flowing from one scene to the next. I would also burn the movies onto a DVD disc to keep and show my family and friends. Despite this, I realise that this type of film we are working on is very different as we are using more technical and advanced techniques, using different camera angles and editing with ‘match on action’. Match on Action is when two clips have been filmed and edited so that it is seen as one easy natural take. It is perceived as a continual flow of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment