Thursday 17 February 2011

Latymer School "Mute" - Kim Bradbury

I particuarly chose this film because I think that it is a very good attempt for a student film and uses many media techniques very well and I have learnt from just watching it.
Strengths:
-the font of the titles go well with the genre of the film, and I like the way that they are animated.
-the soundtrack is interesting without being too overpowering and I like how it buids up and it compensates for the fact that there is no dialogue.
-I like how the music stops when the girl takes her headphones out, this is editted very well.
-the story line of the film is not known straight away which I enjoy as it makes me want to watch it even more.
-also the story line itself is very original and I think that it is a very effective one.
-the shots that they used were really good, especially when they are showing the fast texting which portrays the urgency to communicate.
-the close up of character's mouths work really well as it emphises how they cannot speak.
-the actors are really good and the main girl's facial expressions work really well.
-the bus scene is very effective as its filmed very well and portrays the girl's every day life.
-the way the texts are shown, clearly and immediatly I really like as its not complicated but still very effective.
-when the girl reads the text sent to her everything is silent and you can hear the vibration which works well as it emphasises her and everyone else being mute.
-in everyday life people murmer grunt and when its shown in this clip it also allows you to understand how some of us take this sense for granted.
-I particuarly like the scene where the girl is on the computor and they have managed to make the BBC news editted and this lets you know what is now going on.
-the ending sound works very well too.

Weaknesses:
-although the story line is very good, I am confused as to what can happen now apart from the scientists fixing people's voice boxes.
-from 2.05 - 2.09 in the clip the film is quite blurry, and I don't know if this is meant or not; however I do not think that it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment