Wednesday 13 April 2011

EVALUATION activity 3 - Kim Bradbury

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
Here is my finished film with the voice over on top:



 

Here is the script of my voice over if you cannot understand anything.


I’m Kim, the producer and editor.
I’m Sam, I play the stalker and father.

Me: I have embedded the Icon Home Entertainment to the beginning of my film, I did this because it made my work look more professional and with the lightening it complemented the genre of my film. I then added my own production logo called Bradbury Productions and I made this in photo shop; using blood trickling from the top of the screen portraying the eerie atmosphere that I wanted to create.

The titles then appear as my ringing tones come in. The car coming towards the camera is an inspiration taken from the film, Fargo. This mid-shot of the father driving his daughter home shows the countryside which portrays isolation.

Sam: When he threatens me the music builds up showing suspense. The voice over is done so the car journey isn’t dragging out and becoming boring. However the filming had to be done a few times as I kept stalling the car!

Me: The first sections of match on action now appear as the car comes through the gate

Sam; I enjoyed doing this because it looks like the camera position is from my point of view, the stalker.

Me: This conversation is important as the father tells the daughter to make sure that she locks the door, with a nervous expression showing his fear, she disregards this and closes the car door.

Sam: the footsteps have a lack of identity and are done obscurely however your brain still registers what’s happening.

Me: I increased the playback speed to quicken the movement. The daughter then unlocks the door, walks through and then this close up emphasises how she did not re-lock the door.

Sam: This clips shows the father is in a hurry ignoring the safety of his child.

Me: The daughter then greets her dog, which shows that she could be the stereotype girly girl who wouldn’t normally get herself into trouble and is venerable. The dog then walks off and we don’t know where he goes. The sudden bang in music once again builds up suspense as the father leaves her home alone.

Sam: This is my favourite clip, I held camera making sure that I got my hand in view; I then walked towards the house as the girl comes into view confirming my secret presence without losing suspense.

Kim: This shot from above symbolises how the daughter is alone and being watched. It is filmed from a tripod to show the difference between the stalker and herself. The yelp of the dog is sudden and the daughter is terrified. The panning technique from left to right allows the audience to see the girl then the door which is open.

Sam: The sudden jump to the title works well with the music.

Extra questions that I didn't cover within my voice over include:

What does a production company do?
The production company are the people that produce and may even fund films. They then sell their films and other productions to a filming studio. For exacmple in my project "Bradbury Productions" produced my film and this was advertised within the first few minutes. The people that then work for the production company are then mentioned themselves with their own individual roles:
Produced By Martin Oursel
Co-Producer Kim Bates
Executive Producer Fredrick Sayer



What is the idea of a distributor, who that might be and why?
A film distributor is a company or an individual person responsible for releasing films to the public through the cinema, DVDs, Download and Television etc. For example I used Icon Home Entertainment as they have distributed many films, including Slumdog Millionaire, Knowing, Little Miss Sunshine and Twilight which are all very successful films to therefore this company have a good reputation and I could trust them to release my film and make it known to as many people as possible.



Where might the money come for such film as yours?
Bradbury Productions offered a large sum of money towards my film but I was also able to gain a government grant, and the use of debt finance where I borrowed money from a bank and also through equity finance to fund the costumes which means from my own personal funds.



Why the various people are named in the titles?
My titles begin at the start of the film because it is quite a calm opening and therefore they can appear and be read without any distraction from too much action in the film; also if I have them at the beginning I can repeat them in the end in the final credits also incase anybody missed them and they can find out certain actors or crew members names then too. I have not just included the cast in my movie because although their job is a major role in a film it could not have been accomplished if it were not for all of the hard work of the crew members aswell.
I felt as though the order was important, so I therefore mentioned the distributor first as they are the company who have made alot of the advertisements and trailers to make my film apeal to the audience who are now watching. I then mentioned my production company as they paid the majority of my film and helped with actually making it. I then mention the main charectors in my cast followed by the casting director as I thought this followed on as it was Dasha who actually recruited the cast. I think mentioned the director and he is very important and without him the filming wouldn't have been able to happen because he had to be there fore every day of filming to oversea and direct the cast if they were going wrong or to advise them if there were improvements to be made. The editor then followed as the co-insided with the director because they have simular jobs in the way that they have to oversea a large job however in this case its the job of overseeing the whole editting process and giving their opinions on potential improvements. The writer is then mentioned who wrote the whole script and worked closely with the director and casting director to perfect the dialogue and with the editor to decide on the movements and directions within the script. The costume designer follows as she worked with the casting director and also the writer so she could understand what the charectors in the film had to wear. Each member of the production company are now mentioned because I felt it was not a good idea to mention them just as a company because they each had their own induvidual jobs. I then mentioned where I gained my music from because it was a copyright track and therefore wanted to show that I was not trying to take credit for "Pulses and Drones" creations. The director of photography and cinomatographer are then mentioned one after the other because they worked with eachother, for "A K.I.M. Picture" and their jobs were very similar as they both operated a motion picture camera. The title of the film is then shown as the beginning of the film is over.

 
The titles are, in order:
Icon Home Entertainment
Bradbury Productions
A K.I.M. Picture
Starring Chris Breese
Sam Rayner
Charlotte Woodward
Bailey Bradbury
Casting By Dasha Titova
Directed By Dylan Bowery
Edited By Kim Bradbury
Written Tom Allen
Costume Designer Janice Ma
Production Designer Louis Watkins
Produced By Martin Oursel
Co-Producer Kim Bates
Executive Producer Fredrick Sayer
Music By "Pulses and Drones"
Director of Photography Stan Shirokiy
Cinematographer Christina Bryan
Daddy's Little Girl
I have done them in this way by analysing "Panic Room" as I felt my film was quite simular to this film however as I didn't want to copy their order I did it in the way that I wanted to, however I made note at what times each title came in and also what titles were mentioned; I then added to the titles mentioned and fitted them into a time frame that worked well with how my opening began (ie putting the titles in blank spaces of the clips as the therefore not distract from the film.)
What is your film similar to 'institutionally'?
The films that would be released in a similar way would be Screm 1-4, The Strangers and Panic Room, this is because not only are they all in the same genre of my film, thriller, but also because they have simular plots including a stalker/stalkers coming into a person's house. Paranormal Activity could also be released similary as some clips of the film are done so in the same way (handheld) however that is the main focus of Paranormal Activity and not so much of my film and that is why it is not one of the main films that I could compare "Daddy's Little Girl" to.

No comments:

Post a Comment