Friday 8 April 2011

EVALUATION activity 3. - Charlotte Woodward

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


Originally, my plan was to create a voiceover commentery of my project, but as its the holidays, I don't have the software (video coreal studio) to overlay the audio, and I would have an extremely limited time in which to complete the commentery a we have one day back at school before the deadline. So I will have to write out the script. The task was to explain in detail, scene by scene what is going on. I think this task is a good idea, because now the audience can understand the process of how I have made it, and they may even notice things that they didnt before when watching it. It is very easy for me to say this because me being the producer and editor, I was able to notice these things as I made it, however once the audience read through the script, they can understand how it all came together. I have scripted this with my main character; Grainne McIntyre. This way, the audience can see her point of view as well as mine, as she was acting, and i was producing.

Me: Hi, I'm Charlotte Woodward, the producer and editor of this movie.
Grainne: Hi, I'm Grainne McIntyre who plays the young girl in this movie.

(0:19 seconds)
Me: As you can see, at the start of this movie, I have embeded the New Line Cinema distribution onto the beginning of my film so it looks more professional, and it was a suitable distribution company. Here, I have made my own production logo 'A Woodward Production' as it is infact a family production - my sister Carly helped, being the director of this film. I have added in my own audio of chimes into that clip of the logo, in time with the letters and they come together.

(20:29 seconds)
Me: in these 9 seconds, there were 3 different uses of camera shots. The first is the establishing shot of Grainne's hand reaching towards the ringing phone. This is a close up shot. Then she takes the phone to her ear and it is a mid-shot, focusing on her waist upwards. This way I could include the background surroundings to make it clear that she is in a kitchen, and also to throw emphasis on the large window behind her. Also, this is when we see he first set of credits. After no one is on the phone, she puts it down, again showing a close up shot.
Grainne: personally, I enjoyed this first scene as it was quite exciting. However, we did have to shoot it a couple of times because I didnt really know how to work the phone! Also, we had to get the phone ringing right on time (which was Danielle's job).

(30:50 seconds)
Me: the shot stays the same as the phone rings again, introducing our second credit that appears. This is also when our audio comes in, the slow, menacing drowne which is now obvious to the audiene that it gets spooky! She takes the phone to her ear yet again, filmed at an eye level camera shot. This way, you know something might happen as she is positioned slightly to the right, sllowing a gap of window in view, so we sort of know something may or may not appear in view. Also during this clip, I cut the scene and overlapped the audio on a shot of my house. It fits in well as Grainne says "stop messing around you know i'm on my own" which is when the audience see the look of the house and the surrondings. The scene goes back to her at the window, and thats when Josh comes into scene.
Grainne: I loved this scene! When I was standing with the window behind me, i'm showing how vulnerable I am, on the phone to a stranger, thinking its my friend Josh, when Josh (the stalker) is right behind me looking at me. I love how he appears as if out of nowhere in the dark. I thought the use of lighting was brilliant here, it was like a spotlight was focusing on him. Again, this scene had to be filmed a few times as Josh didn't respond to Danielle's hand signals, therefore missedhis que. Or the look on his face was just too ridiculous to seem convincing!

(51-1:11)
Me: After she hangs up the phone, the shot becomes a close up of her hand on the light switch, as she becomes suspicious so turns on the lights. She walks towards the back door, showing her image at a mid-shot angle. She walks towards the camera at eye-level, and looks out the door window. Personally, this was my favourite/most exciting scene to take as it was from a different perspctive, showing that now the camera is the eyes of the character, watching her. We filmed this from over the fence behind my garden, focusing on Grainne having a look out the window. Then an extreme close-up of her hand locking the back door in fear.
Grainne: Everyone seemed to love being a part of this scene, but it actually scared me! Not only was it cold out, we had to film this a view times because the camera light kept going out. This was due to filming in the dark. I had many instructions to go by aswel from Charlotte, such as which dirrections to look at, avoid contact with the camera etc.

(1:12-1:20)
Me:this part of the film was my least favorite, just because I didnt think thoroughly through how the camera shot goes from her walking out of the utility, hears the noise, then straight to her facial reaction. I thought it was a bit messy and sudden. As we see her facial reaction, its an extreme cloe uip of her face. Again, more match-on-action as she turns the door handle and comes out of the kitchen into the hall.


(1:21-1:40)
Grainne: this scene was very hard trying not to laugh as I was in a different part of the house, and knowing that Josh would be standing at the top of the stairs kept making me smile! Despite this, I enjoyed being a part of the ending scene because it made me want to carry on acting! I wanted to know what was going to happen next. 
Me: this scene was quite difficult in terms of filming because at that moment, the hallway was filled with boxes, possible health and safety risks, and it was quite narrow. My favourite part was the position of the stalker at the top of the stairs, all in black. It emphasises his lack on identity. I love how suddenly and unexpected it is when you hear the scream. This was intended to make it sound as if it came from Grainne, but the scream was actually embedded from a website. And finally how it emerges with the dial tone, with the ending title. 


Here is some aditional information I didn't include in my commentary because I felt that the commentary should focus more on what is happening, and how it was all put together.

What does a production company do?
The production company are the ones who produced the film; e.g. for my project, it was "A Woodward Production" which is advertised at the start of my film. 

What is a distibutor and what is he doing?
A film distributor is a company or individual responsible for releasing films to the public.
Where might the money come for such film as yours?
The money might have come from government grants, and also personal funds.

Why the various people are named in the titles?
I have included the crew members in the title because I feel that its very important. It shouldn't be all about the viewing of the movie, because the movies wouldnt exist if it wasnt for certain people. I have introduced the titles at the beginning because people are more likely to read and notice them, whereas if they were at the end of a film when everybody switches off the screen.
The titles are (from the beginning):
A Woodward Production
A Woodward Production presents
Introducing Grainne McIntyre
Josh Kershaw
Producer and Editor Charlotte Woodward
Director Carly Woodward
Production Designer Danielle Jordan
Number Withheld

What is your film similar to 'institutionally'?
The films that would be released in a similar way would be The Scream Trilogy, The Strangers, Halloween. This is because all of these are in the same genre as my film, and are also similar plots, all including a stalker(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment